The service card is the cashless means of payment in the refectories and cafeterias of the Studentenwerk Greifswald. If you want to use the services in the refectories or cafeterias, you should purchase a service card beforehand. At the University of Applied Sciences Stralsund, the University of Applied Sciences Neubrandenburg and the University of Greifswald, the cafeteria exchange is also implemented in the chip of the student and employee ID cards and partly in guest ID cards, so that no additional service card is necessary.

In all refectories and cafeterias you can pay cashless with the service card. In every cafeteria there are also cash desks where you can only pay with the service card or student ID. Your user status is recorded on the service card. However, you must always show your student or employee ID in conjunction with the service card, since the service card is not issued personally to the owner for data protection reasons.

What is the Service Card?

  • contactless, rechargeable chip card
  • enables cashless, fast payment
  • no storage of personal data

Are all service cards the same?

  • All service cards are initially preset with the user status "Guest".
  • Upon presentation of a valid student/employee ID, the service card can be reprogrammed to the user status "student" or "employee" at all cash desks in the refectories and cafeterias.

Where can I get the service card?

  • The service card can be purchased at all cash desks in the refectories / cafeterias as well as at the central cash desk in the Mensa am Wall.
  • Retail value for students, staff and guests is 6 € deposit
  • If an externally intact card is returned, the remaining balance and the deposit amount will be refunded.

Note: Please do not write on the signature field, but note the card number in case of loss.

Which requirements must be met?

  • Students: Presentation of a valid student identity card
  • Employees of UNI / HS / StW: Certificate of employment / service card of the university / college / Studierendenwerk
  • Guests - no special requirements

How long is the service card valid?

  • The service card is valid for 6 months from the date of purchase and the institution, with the user status "student" and 12 months with the user status "employee".
  • Service cards with the user status "Guest" are valid for an unlimited period
  • At the cash desks of the refectories and cafeterias, all chip cards are automatically checked for the validity of the student or staff status.
  • If the validity has expired, the card is assumed to have guest status. In this case the guest price is to be paid.

How do I renew the student or staff status of the service card?

  • upon presentation of the current student / staff ID card at all cash desks in the refectories / cafeterias

How is the Service Card upgraded?

  • at automatic revaluating machines in all refectories with coins (2 €, 1 €), with bank notes e.g. 5 €, 10 €, 20 € or with the EC card (only possible in the cafeteria at Berthold-Beitz-Platz)
  • Credit limit: 75 €

How do you check the balance?

  • At replenishment machines and credit displays
  • For NFC-enabled smartphones, there are various apps that can be used to determine the card balance. For Android for example the app Mensa credit.

What happens if the card is lost?

  • Cards that are lost are found by someone and handed in to the staff of the Studierendenwerk: The card can be issued, if the owner can give his card number. The cardholder will get his card back at the earliest one week after the loss.
  • Service cards that are lost, but not found by someone and not handed in to the staff, i.e. they are not available: Since the service card is part of the cash balance, it is not replaced if the card is lost. It is not possible to pay out any remaining credit. For data protection reasons, the service card is not issued personally to the owner. It is therefore an anonymous credit comparable to cash. Exception: If the cardholder can clearly prove his card number (e.g. by means of a bank statement in the case of EC revaluation), a refund of any remaining credit balance is possible one week after the card has been blocked.
  • University/college cards (student, employee or guest IDs): The student, employee and sometimes guest IDs of the university/college institutions and the university are usually personalised, so it is possible to have any remaining card balance paid out if the card is defective or lost. For this purpose, a form "Chip card defect / loss report" must be submitted to us, which only enables us to assign the chip card to its owner. The form is filled out by the institutions themselves (student administration, personnel department). The affected card will be blocked and the remaining credit can be paid out after one week at the earliest.

What should I do if my card is blocked?

  • If the card is blocked due to technical events, the card can only be unblocked where the last transaction took place (revaluator, cash desk).
  • If it is no longer known where the last transaction took place, please contact our staff.

Students with a child are often more burdened not only in terms of time but also financially than their fellow students without a child. As a further contribution to relieving the burden of students with children, the Studierendenwerk Greifswald has been offering the so-called children's meal card in all its refectories since October 2009. These are free meals for children of students up to 11 years.

Applications for a children’s meal card can be made at the social counselling service in Greifswald, Neubrandenburg or Stralsund upon presentation of the student ID, identity card and birth certificate. A condition for the granting of the card is that the children must be the own children of students of Greifswald University, Neubrandenburg University of Applied Sciences or Stralsund University of Applied Sciences.

Further information on how to apply and the exact conditions can be obtained from the social counselling services in Greifswald, Stralsund and Neubrandenburg.

Application and guidelines for the Kindertellerkarte (only in German language)

Despite BAföG and housing subsidies, there are students who live on the edge of the subsistence level. In cooperation between the General Students' Committee (AStA) and the Students' Association, a free meal card model was developed for support. This is intended to enable financially disadvantaged students to get a hot meal in the refectory. Deprived students (usually students who receive housing benefit) can be supported with a 50 € credit on the service card.

In order to prove that you are in need, you have to enclose the notification of housing benefit or, in exceptional cases, other meaningful documents with your application.

The application for a free meal card can be made at the social counselling service of the Studierendenwerk Greifswald.

Applications are available at the respective general student committees or at the social counseling of the Studierendenwerk Greifswald (Applications are only in German language)

Download Application Free meal card Greifswald

Download Application Free meal card Stralsund

Download Application Free meal card Neubrandenburg

Download guidelines for the granting of the free meal card (Greifswald)

Download guidelines for the granting of the free meal card (Stralsund)

Download guidelines for the granting of the free meal card (Neubrandenburg)